Monday, April 15, 2013

Setback #1

This blog represents my newfound commitment to living a full life, and I reckon that a lot of its posts will focus on my pursuit to reach new levels of physical fitness. Yet, there’s one small problem: I recently ended up with a Grade 3 pulled hamstring. No fun!

This life development has meant that I’ve spent the last few weeks going to/from multiple ongoing appointments (a primary care physician, a chiropractor, and a physical therapist), as well as maintaining a strict regimen of icing, heating, stretching, monitoring pain levels, and completing hamstring exercises. I had no idea that being injured was a full-time commitment!

Being out of commission also has allowed me to over-estimate the great feats that I’d be accomplishing if I weren’t injured. I tell myself, “If I weren’t hurt, I’d be training for an Ironman, breaking some world records, or taking on body building…” This is entirely not true. In reality, I’d probably be spending the same amount of time finding reasons not to go running or to the gym… But at least now I have a convenient excuse!

I am trying to be patient with the healing process. I think I’m just about to the point at which I can resume strenuous physical activity, and I’m busy planning all of the great things I will do. I certainly will not undertake an Ironman, break any world records, or take up body building, but I’m ready for some serious movement. Put me in, Coach-- I’m ready to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment